- You might have noticed that things have been less cow-y on the blog as of late. First, it was because we were packing and moving and unpacking and unmoving. Lately, it’s been because there hasn’t been much cow-ing going on, and part of that is because they shipped calves early and don’t have many cows here at the moment, but it’s also because…the owners sold the ranch. So, the last few weeks have been a lot of talking, planning and figuring out what our next steps are going to be.
- Bert has received several job offers in the area, including from the ex- and future owners of the ranch, which is wonderful because we really, really like this area and all the people here. I’m so proud of him. We have a pretty good idea about which route we’re going to take, and as soon as we’re able to share, you know I will. I’m very thankful we will be able to stay around here, even if we do end up moving houses.
- Life on a ranch–especially if you don’t own it, but even if you do–is a very uncertain thing. At any moment, the ranch could be sold, a wildfire could start, the bottom could fall out of the cow market…so many things. So, like everyone else, we’re rolling with the punches, and if that means we’ll end up living in three different houses in a four-month span, okie doke.
- Have you heard of these sunglasses? I got Bert a pair for his birthday, and they’re really cool. They’re made out of (sustainably-harvested) wood, so they’re mega light, but they’re also polarized, and the hinge on the side goes both ways so they fit so nicely. I’m putting a pair on my Christmas wish list!
- I am having the hardest time figuring out what to get Buster for Christmas. I know it’s early, but we like to be prepared. We’re definitely getting him a little chair to match Wacey’s, but other than that I’m stumped. He already has plenty of toys, clothes, and shoes. Is it okay to get a “group gift” that Wacey can play with now but that Buster won’t be able to play with for a while yet? I mean, he’ll be nine months old, so he won’t know if he doesn’t get a bunch of stuff, but still.
- I’m currently reading the first book of Ken Follett’s Century Trilogy, and oh, it’s so good. If you like: Downton Abbey, World War I, the Russian Revolution, politics, Votes for Women…read it.
- Antelope season happened, and someone cleaned an antelope sort of by the house, and now there’s an antelope hide in my yard. #cool.
- Wacey has started talking about Santa and Christmas trees and oh my heart, I am so excited for Christmas this year. One of the things I’ve caught myself doing as we’ve been interviewing (nonstop since July, it feels like) is decide where the Christmas tree would go in all the houses, so I guess he’s my kid. He’s got Bert’s eyes, and general everything, so I’m glad he’s got my love of the holidays. We may have watched The Santa Clause today because he wanted to see Santa.
- Roasts are so cozy. So we’re having one! Recipe on my insta-stories later today.
- Why are there not more remote jobs, or why are they so hard to find if they exist? #ugh.
- As part of my #RuralWellnessChallenge, I have been looking at my diet a little more closely and after reading this post, I have been looking at added sugar, and yiiiiikes. It’s in everything! I’m trying to keep added sugar to 25 grams or less most of the time (except for when, say, we’re checking waters on Sunday and I demolish a bag of Sugar Babies), and gosh, that could be tough. Sugar is in everything it seems, from even “healthy” cereals to Wheat Thins to ketchup and jarred pasta sauce, and I thought I knew but oh man I did not.
- I want so desperately to be an ace DIY-er, but you know, I’m just not. That being said, I will DIY the heck outta something if I hate it and can’t replace it, so maybe I’m an Angry DIY-er? Hmm. What does it say about me that my primary motivation for home improvement stems from anger, annoyance, and general discontentment? I’ve decided I don’t care, because I will take any motivation I can get.
Happy Monday! It’s going to be a good week. I can feel it. I’ll be back Wednesday with the oft-promised Antibiotics post (riveting, I know, but I know you have questions!) so check back then!